고객센터
자유게시판
자유게시판

Open Source Alternatives To AutoCAD 23-11-07

본문

Editor's note: This text was originally published in May 2016, and has been up to date to incorporate a number of further options.

CAD-laptop-aided design or pc-aided drafting, depending on who you ask-is know-how created to make it easier to create specifications for real-world objects. Whether the thing you are constructing is a house, car, bridge, or spaceship, likelihood is it bought its begin in a CAD program of 1 type or another.

More Great Content

Free online course: RHEL technical overviewLearn Advanced Linux CommandsDownload Cheat SheetsFind an Open Source AlternativeRead Top Linux ContentTake a look at open source assets

Among the very best-known CAD packages is AutoDesk's AutoCAD, but there are various others, proprietary and open source, out there. So how do the open supply alternate options to AutoCAD stack up? The answer is dependent upon how you plan to make use of them.

Let's begin by being trustworthy and upfront about something: If you're on the lookout for a drop-in replacement in your existing CAD program that can present equivalent functionality and workflow without making any adjustments to your processes, autodeskautocad.online you are going to be upset. But I would argue that the rationale to your disappointment has nothing to do with the licensing of the product-drop-in replacements for complicated applications with long-time users who have particular wants and expectations for his or her software program are arduous.

The trick for deciding whether a alternative piece of software, whether or not open or closed, is an effective choice for you is to tease out exactly what your wants are. The situation is not any totally different than discovering that the person who insists that they "want" Photoshop is just using it to attract a few geometric shapes and remove purple-eye from images; what they really want is a graphics enhancing instrument that may change these particular capabilities. Whether it has the entire bells and whistles of the original is irrelevant if these options sit paid for however unused.

My private journey via open supply CAD programs was no completely different. I worked with AutoCAD briefly in grad school, so after i wanted to play with drawing three-dimensional plans for one thing, it was pretty much all I knew. But that alone did not make AutoCAD your best option.

As I've strived to replace increasingly more software program in my life with open source choices, Blender turned out to be simply as good for my 3D modeling needs, whether I was playing with fashions created for a 3D printer or looking at landscapes exported from different packages. And for the comparatively easy activity of planning out my house landscaping projects, Sweet Home 3D has been an excellent open supply various.

If your needs are a little bit extra particular and you actually need a devoted CAD program, listed here are great open source decisions to contemplate:

SALOME

The SALOME platform is an software and framework appropriate for industrial design and simulation. It is a facet-mission of the 3D powerhouse, OpenCascade, and has some serious industrial customers. SALOME integrates a CAD and CAE modeling software with industrial meshing algorithms and advanced 3D visualization. Its geometry editor can import STEP, BREP, IGES, STL, and XAO recordsdata, and its mesh editor can import UNIV, MED, GGNS, SAUV, and extra. It has integrated Python help.

As with all other CAD purposes on this listing, it's open supply, so if in case you have in-home developers creating plugins for it, there is not any have to deal with a clunky API. You will have direct entry to the code base.

BRL-CAD

BRL-CAD is a cross-platform CAD device that dates again to 1979, although it might take 25 years for the supply code to be released under an open supply license. In actual fact, BRL-CAD is so old that it has been credited with being the oldest supply code repository of an application presently in energetic development.

Originally developed by Mike Muuss at the Army Research Laboratory, BRL-CAD is been used for decades by the United States military for modeling weapon techniques, but it additionally has been used for much more everyday design tasks, from educational to industrial design to well being applications.

So what does more than 35 years of growth bring you? BRL-CAD is made up of greater than 400 completely different constituent instruments and applications spread across greater than one million lines of source code. Not all parts are beneath the same license, with licenses ranging from BSD to LGPL to easy public domain; the COPYING file throughout the venture's source code on SourceForge has more particulars.

FreeCAD

FreeCAD is a parametric open source CAD program that was created to be able to design "real-life objects of any dimension," and although it's clear that lots of the showcased examples created by users are smaller objects, there is not any specific reason it couldn't be used for architectural applications as properly. FreeCAD is written primarily in C++, and if you are a Python coder you will wish to benefit from the flexibility to increase and automate FreeCAD utilizing its Python interface.

FreeCAD can import and export from quite a lot of frequent codecs for 3D objects, and its modular architecture makes it easy to extend the basic performance with various plugins. This system has many constructed-in interface choices, from a sketcher to renderer to even a robotic simulation capability. Currently in beta, FreeCAD is being actively developed with regular releases, but the builders warn that it might not yet be appropriate for production use.

FreeCAD's source code is hosted on GitHub and is made obtainable as open supply under an LGPL license.

LibreCAD

LibreCAD is one other CAD program that is designed to work throughout Windows, Mac, and Linux alike. A fork of QCAD (talked about below), LibreCAD has an interface that will look familiar to AutoCAD users, and by default it makes use of the AutoCAD DXF format for importing and saving, though it could actually use other formats as effectively. LibreCAD is 2D only, though, so it makes more sense if your intended use is a site plan or something equally, err, flat.

LibreCAD is licensed beneath the GPL and you could find its complete supply code on GitHub.

These aren't the only choices. Other good choices which might be worth your time to take a look at embrace:

OpenSCAD, which is billed as "the programmer's strong 3D CAD modeller," owing to the truth that it isn't an interactive modeler, however one the place modeling is completed with a script file.QCAD, which is cross-platform however limited to 2-dimensional applications.SolveSpace, which is a parametric two- and three-dimensional CAD program.OpenJSCAD.org, which is an up to date frontend for OpenJsCad. Both are JavaScript-primarily based 2D and 3D modeling tools that run in the browser and are made available below the MIT license.

Since we won't embody all the options right here, if in case you have a favorite, tell us in the comments below.

Are you curious about reading more articles like this? Join our weekly e mail e-newsletter.